This almond cream cake is not only delicious but also the perfect combination of creamy and tangy, with moist ladyfingers soaked in orange juice. It's a recipe that will have your guests asking for seconds and begging for the recipe. So grab your apron and get ready to make a dessert that's sure to impress!
If you've never enjoyed a cake like this before or even heard of it before, you'll have to make this wonderfully moist cake, so you can see for yourself!
In Austria, this delectable, no-bake dessert is known as a Malakoff Torte! It has a wonderful, intense almond flavor, as well as some striking citrus notes! While a nutty citrus cake might sound like a strange combination at first glance, this recipe is sure to blow you away! Made from ladyfingers drizzled in orange juice, this pairing has a slightly sour taste that's refreshingly delicious!
For the Cake
- Butter, unsalted and soft
- Granulated Sugar
- Almonds, ground
- Egg Yolks
- Heavy Cream
- Orange Juice OR One part Orange Juice, one part Cognac
For the Garnish
See the recipe card for quantities.
🔪 How To Make Almond Cream Cake From Scratch
The first thing you do is whip your cream until very stiff – when stiff peaks form – and chill it in the refrigerator.
While that's chilling, in a separate bowl cream your butter, and add the granulated sugar and egg yolks alternately. Next, mix in your grated almonds and thoroughly beat everything together until fluffy.
Once you've achieved a fluffy consistency, add some heavy cream it into the mix – along with the orange juice! Alternatively, if you would rather use orange juice and Cognac, you'll add in a tablespoon of each.
Once everything has been combined, line your springform pan with ladyfingers to make a base. Make a border with ladyfingers by placing them along the edge of the springform pan.
As you fill in the bottom of the springform pan, don't be afraid of breaking up the ladyfinger if you need to! Whole or halved, they'll still be equally delicious! Made with ladyfingers whole or halved.
Next, drizzle the ladyfingers with orange juice – or equal parts orange juice and cognac! Once those ladyfingers have been hydrated, spread some of the almond cream on top and begin the process anew. Add another layer of ladyfingers, sprinkle them with orange juice (or equal parts orange juice and Cognac), and top with another layer of almond cream!
The last layer of your cake should be formed by ladyfingers.
Once you've finished assembling all your layers of ladyfingers, you can cover your cake with a large plate or parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
If you can, I always recommend making no-bake cakes the night before and so they can get firm overnight. Once you've waited at least 8 hours, spread the cake with stiffly whipped cream and grate the chocolate over it. Remove the almond cream cake from the mold and garnish with Giotto.
Once garnished, all that's left to do is cut your Malakoff Torte into pieces and serve.
- Kitchen Machine with a Whisk Attachment
- Mixing bowls
- 28 cm // 11-inch Springform Pan
🌡 Storage & Tips
This almond cream cake can be kept for up to 3 days in the fridge.
If you prefer to make a taller cake with several layers of ladyfingers, you can use a 9-inch springform pan instead of the 11-inch.
Another great tip? Since this recipe calls for egg yolks, you can save those egg whites to make coconut egg white cookies! If you're not a big fan of coconut, you could also put those egg whites to good use with a batch of meringue cookies!
This delicious almond cake recipe isn't all too different from our Almond Cream Cake, but it's missing those sour notes that make it so refreshing. The biggest visual difference between the two is that a toasted almond cake is covered entirely in toasted almonds!
If you're familiar with the popular Swedish, ready-to-assemble furniture company, you might also be familiar with its Almondy Almond Cake. This delicious cake combines an almond base with a golden cream and is topped with roasted almond flakes – making it, not all that different from our own recipe, but it doesn't have the same citrus notes. This sweet treat can only be purchased in-store, but what a great reward for putting together that new bookshelf?!
This Almond Cream Cake – and many other recipes you'll come across for that matter – calls for heavy cream. Heavy cream is a great choice when it comes to decorating your baked goods because of its thickness!
This layered sponge cake was invented at the Boston Parker House Hotel, and it features a creamy pastry cream inside. It's topped in chocolate and its edges are encrusted with almonds! It's a bit different from this recipe, but absolutely delicious!
Other Recipes for You to Try
- Fresh Strawberry Sponge Cake
- Viennese Sponge Cake
- "Easy As Pie" Strawberry Cobbler
- Homemade Sacher Torte
- Easy & Delicious Chestnut Cake
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. This would be awesome! You can also sign up for our Newsletter or follow me on Pinterest or Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @combinegoodflavors and hashtag #combinegoodflavors, so I don't miss it.
Almond Cream Cake (Austrian Malakoff Torte)
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 5.3 oz Butter soft
- ¾ cup Granulated sugar
- 4 Egg yolk
- 1 cup Almonds ground
- 40 Ladyfingers
- 1 tablespoon Orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Orange juice or Cognac
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 12 Giotto
- Dark chocolate
- Whip ½ cup Heavy cream until very stiff and chill in the refrigerator.½ cup Heavy cream
- Cream 5.3 oz Butter, add ¾ cup Granulated sugar and 4 Egg yolk alternately, mix in 1 cup Almonds, and beat everything very well until fluffy.5.3 oz Butter, ¾ cup Granulated sugar, 4 Egg yolk, 1 cup Almonds
- Then add the whipped cream and 1 tablespoon Orange juice(or cognac) by a spoonful.1 tablespoon Orange juice
- Line a springform pan with ladyfingers to make a base. Make a border with ladyfingers by placing them along the edge of the springform pan. It can be made with ladyfingers whole or halved.40 Ladyfingers
- Drizzle the ladyfingers with 1 tablespoon Orange juice (or orange juice and cognac).1 tablespoon Orange juice
- Spread some of the almond cream on top and then another layer of ladyfingers.
- Sprinkle the ladyfingers again with orange juice (or orange juice and cognac) and then another layer of almond cream. The last layer should be formed by ladyfingers.
- Then cover the cake with a large plate or parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- When cooling is over, spread the cake with stiffly ½ cup Heavy Cream and grate Dark chocolate over it.½ cup Heavy Cream, Dark chocolate
- Remove the almond cream cake from the mold and garnish with 12 Giotto.12 Giotto
- Cut into pieces and serve.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
⛑️ Food Safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
For further information, check Safe Food Handling - FDA.