Vanilla sugar is used to make certain baked goods and desserts. It is sugar flavored with vanilla or infused with Vanillin. Vanilla sugar is easy to make at home using only two ingredients: vanilla beans and regular sugar.
In today's post, I want to show you how to make your homemade vanilla sugar quickly and easily. Three super simple recipes will help you to make vanilla sugar yourself in the future and no longer have to buy.
Make your vanilla sugar in small and large quantities in just a few steps. One of those versions will even allow you to reuse scraped vanilla beans.
- Granulated sugar - white sugar, brown sugar, or raw cane sugar
- Vanilla - vanilla pod scraped or whole or ground vanilla.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Preparation of Intense Vanilla Sugar
Take a whole vanilla bean and cut it open lengthwise. Fill the preserving jar halfway with sugar.
Scrap the vanilla pulp and place the scraped vanilla bean and the pulp together into the jar with half of the granulated sugar.
Pour the remaining sugar into the mason jar.
Close the preserving jar and let the vanilla sugar steep for 5-7 days before using it and removing the vanilla bean.
Cut the vanilla bean open lengthwise.
Fill the preserving jar halfway with sugar.
Fill the preserving jar halfway with sugar.
Place the scraped vanilla bean into the jar.
Preparation of vanilla sugar to use up leftover pods
The preparation is the same as that of the intense vanilla sugar.
The difference is that you cut the already scraped vanilla pods into small pieces and put them in a Mason jar with granulated sugar.
Leave to infuse for 5-7 days in the same way as for the "intensive preparation."
And the awesome thing is that you can reuse those leftover pods again! By using them for creating homemade vanilla extract!
Preparation of vanilla sugar with ground vanilla
This variant has the advantage that you can use vanilla sugar immediately. First, add the ground vanilla powder to a preserving jar.
Next, fill the jar with granulated sugar.
Stir first and then shake well after closing the preserving jar, so the vanilla powder is evenly distributed with the sugar, and you're ready.
Take a teaspoon of ground vanilla powder.
Fill the ground vanilla powder in the jar.
Add granulated sugar.
Stir first and then shake well after closing the preserving jar.
Instead of regular sugar, you can use raw cane sugar but also coconut sugar. Both sugar types give a different taste experience and guarantee that your vanilla sugar is vegan.
- Airtight container (mason jar or preserving glass)
- Kitchen knife
- Cutting board
It is important that the vanilla sugar is stored in an airtight container, preferably a canning jar. On the one hand, to preserve the aroma and on the other hand, so that the humidity does not clump the sugar.
💭 Top tip
Depending on the demand for vanilla sugar in your home, you can stock up to a kilo of vanilla sugar. We recommend using 2-3 vanilla beans for one kilo of sugar.
There are 8 grams of vanilla sugar in a packet of vanilla sugar.
No, there should be no sugar in the vanilla powder. It consists of 100% ground vanilla.
The fundamental difference is that vanilla sugar requires natural vanilla to make. It is not pure white. Vanillin is a flavoring, often chemically produced, and pure white.
Instead of regular sugar, you can use raw cane sugar to make homemade vanilla sugar and coconut sugar or Xylitol.
All three types of sugar provide a different taste experience and guarantee that your vanilla sugar is vegan.
You can use ground vanilla as a substitute for vanilla sugar. The difference lies in the sweetness, as the vanilla is not highly sweet.
No, because inside vanilla powder is no sugar added. The vanilla sugar, as the name suggests, is.
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. This would be awesome! You can also sign up for our Newsletter or follow me on Pinterest or Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @combinegoodflavors and hashtag #combinegoodflavors, so I don't miss it.
How to make Vanilla Sugar?
- 1 ¼ cups Granulated sugar white sugar,brown sugar, or raw cane sugar
- 1 Vanilla Vanilla pod scraped or whole or ground vanilla.
Option 1 - Intense Vanilla Sugar
- Take a whole vanilla bean and cut it open lengthwise.1 Vanilla
- Scrap the vanilla pulp and put the scraped vanilla bean and the pulp together with the granulated sugar into a jar.1 ¼ cups Granulated sugar
- Close the preserving jar and let the vanilla sugar steep for 5-7 days before using it and removing the vanilla bean.
Option 2 - Vanilla Sugar to use up leftover pods
- Cut the already scraped vanilla pods into small pieces and put them in a Mason jar with granulated sugar.1 ¼ cups Granulated sugar, 1 Vanilla
- Leave to infuse for 5-7 days in the same way as for the "intensive preparation."
Option 3 - Vanilla sugar with Ground Vanilla
- Mix the ground vanilla powder with granulated sugar in a well-sealed container.1 ¼ cups Granulated sugar, 1 Vanilla
- Shake well, so the vanilla powder is evenly distributed with the sugar, and you're ready.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
⛑️ Food Safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
For further information, check Safe Food Handling - FDA.