A Sparkling Lemon Punch is a staple for traditional Austrian New Year celebrations. It is my pleasure to share this easy and refreshing Lemon Punch recipe with you!
A slice of lemon is like a little piece of sunshine; it is so vibrant and alive with flavor! That is why lemon is the perfect flavor to ring in the new year! Its lively flavor will remind you to stay adventurous and roll with life's punches, the sweet and the sour!
So every New Year at my home, we raise glasses filled with Lemon Punch to make a fresh annul and hope you will too!
- Lemons: Everyone loves lemons! This colorful fruit has so much irresistibly sweet and tart flavor that it is the perfect inspiration for a spirited punch! Choose large, fresh lemons. Look for lemons with nice, unblemished skin so you have plenty of good-looking garnishes.
- White Wine: Crisp and delicious white wine brings out the most tasty citrus notes from the lemons. Choose your favorite white wine variety, but a smooth Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Gris would make a great punch.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is amazing! There are so many deliciously healthy benefits to this simple ingredient. If you want to learn more about lemons, check out my juicy guide to everything lemon!
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar has more depth of flavor than white sugar, making it the perfect choice for this brightly flavored punch. You can also use agave syrup as a sugar-free substitute.
- Sparkling Wine: Sparkling wine is the best way to bring the bubbles! Choose something light and flirty like an Asti, and if you want to lower the alcohol content, swap this ingredient for sparkling water.
See the recipe card for quantities.
🍸 Step-by-Step Instructions
Step One: Add spirals of lemon peel to the punch bowl. Pour in half the white wine. Infuse for half an hour.
Step Two: Add freshly squeezed lemon juice, then stir in the sugar and the remaining white and sparkling wine.
Step Three: Garnish the punch with lemons and lemon balm leaves if you fancy. Enjoy!
🍸 More Cocktail and Drink Recipes
- Punch Bowl: A small punch bowl is the ideal serving vessel for this drink. Go fancy and use a crystal bowl or keep it low-key with a simpler choice.
- Cutting Knife: A paring knife or small chef knife will work for this punch.
- Cutting Board: Choose a clean, citrus-friendly cutting board.
- Lemon Squeezer: A lemon squeezer or citrus reamer will save you so much energy when squeezing many lemons simultaneously.
- Ladle: Pick a ladle that looks nice with your punch bowl.
- Serving Glasses: Traditionally, punch glasses should be on the smaller side, that way, guests are encouraged to sip, mingle, and make the rounds all night long!
💭 Top tip
This delicious beverage was made to party! The refreshing flavor keeps you feeling good all night long. Plus, it pairs beautifully with both sweet and savory foods!
This recipe yields about 2.25 L or 2.37 quarts. It is so easy to make that I never mind preparing it on the fly, but you can also double the batch for a bigger soiree!
Yes! Complete the recipe up to the point of adding sparkling wine. Stop, cover, and chill the mixture for up to a day. When you’re ready to serve, remove the punch from the fridge, stir in the sparkling wine, and enjoy!
The Perfect Pairing
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. This would be awesome! You can also sign up for our Newsletter or follow me on Pinterest or Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @combinegoodflavors and hashtag #combinegoodflavors, so I don't miss it.
New Year's Lemon Punch
- 2 Lemons
- 2 Bottles White wine divided
- 3 Lemons
- 6-9 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon Brown sugar
- 1 Bottle Sparkling wine
- Lemon balm leaves
- Add the zest of 2 Lemons in the form of spirals to the punch bowl and pour in one of the 2 Bottles White wine.2 Lemons, 2 Bottles White wine
- Leave to infuse for about 30 minutes.
- Then squeeze 2-3 Lemons and add 6-9 tablespoon Lemon juice .3 Lemons, 6-9 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Next, add 2 tablespoon Brown sugar, the remaining white wine, and 1 Bottle Sparkling wine and stir well.2 tablespoon Brown sugar, 1 Bottle Sparkling wine
- Add a few lemons and optional Lemon balm leaves before serving.Lemon balm leaves
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
⛑️ Food Safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
For further information, check Safe Food Handling - FDA.