This article is also available in Deutsch.
I love to bake and cook with Advocaat egg liqueur! When I am using egg liqueur for baking, the cake batters are silky and moist.
On top, egg liqueur is giving the cake a unique flavor.
Furthermore, it is also wonderful to serve with a dessert or homemade cookies as an alcoholic drink. Particularly lovely is to present it in chocolate-filled waffle cups. Looks beautiful and tastes delicious.
Another great use-case of Advocaat is to mix it into coffee, as a so-called "Dutch coffee" Advocaat is the absolute highlight! You see, all these reasons push you to make this wonderful delicacy yourself.
So if you don't want to buy commercial Advocaat from the store, you can easily create a homemade version yourself with the following recipe. It is also a grateful recipient of leftover egg yolks.
If you have leftover yolks from baking and don't want to make cookies (like our delicious walnut cookies), you could use them to make egg liqueur!
- Heavy Cream
- Full Cream Milk (no skimmed one!)
- Powdered Sugar
- Egg Yolk
- Vanilla Sugar - how about making your own vanilla sugar at home?
- Alcohol (white Rum 40 Percent Alcohol or Vodka 40 Percent Alcohol)
- A dash of cognac
See the recipe card for quantities.
It is essential to use sterile glass containers. So before filling in the homemade Advocaat, you have to sterilize them.
How to sterilize the glass containers?
Make a hot water bath. Put the jars, bottles, and lids in a pot. Fill with water so that the water covers the jars and bottles. Boil for 30 minutes until bubbling. Remove the jars, bottles, and lids one by one and place them on paper towels to dry.
Add whipped cream, milk, powdered sugar, yolks, and vanilla sugar into a big mixing bowl and mix them until well combined.
Add the milk and the heavy cream.
Then the yolks!
Add the powdered sugar.
And the vanilla sugar.
Mix until well combined!
Next add the alcohol!
Add the alcohol (in this case, I used vanilla vodka for flavor) and a good shot of cognac (or brandy).
If you opted for the rum-based version, keep in mind that the rum turns out to be the strongest and most noticeable in the throat on the finish.
Remix everything well. Bottle and shake often. For bottling, it is best to use a funnel so that there is no mess.
If the egg liqueur gets too thick, dilute with cognac (or brandy). Once the bottles are filled, seal them well and store the delicious homemade egg liqueur in the refrigerator. This method is the easiest without heat.
However, the Advocaat must be kept in the refrigerator and will be edible for a week.
For the second method, prepare over steam. Here, mix all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk over a bain-marie until the Advocaat thickens.
If you prepare the Advocaat over steam, it will keep for one month in the refrigerator.
I'm very cautious about shelf life claims here. No one wants to have a nasty surprise when they take Advocaat that has been open for too long, stored incorrectly, or even not produced by all hygiene regulations. I use homemade egg liqueur exclusively for immediate further processing when baking cakes or cookies. To be on the safe side, I always try to have a bottle of purchased Advocaat at home. You never know.
💭 Top tip
What foods pair well with advocaat egg liqueur?
- Stracciatella, Chocolate, or Vanilla Ice Cream
- Coffee (Dutch Coffee)
- As an ingredient in baking and cooking (Advocaat Bites)
- As a drink with dessert
- Mixed in a drink - E.g., Snowball Cocktail
- As a dessert topping (Waffle Blossoms with Chestnut Purée)
- Use it as a filling for pralines and cookies
- Mixed in Vanilla Pudding
Homemade Advocaat Egg Liqueur
- Liqueur Bottles
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup Full cream milk
- 4 Egg yolk
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla sugar
- 1 cup Alcohol White Rum or Vodka 40 Percent Alcohol
- 1 Dash Cognac
- 4 ½ cups Powdered sugar
- Mix heavy cream with the milk, powdered sugar, yolks, and vanilla sugar with a mixer until well blended.1 cup Heavy cream, 1 ½ cup Full cream milk, 4 Egg yolk, 2 teaspoon Vanilla sugar, 4 ½ cups Powdered sugar
- Add the alcohol and a good dash of cognac.1 Dash Cognac, 1 cup Alcohol
- Bottle and shake often.
Please note that all my recipes are developed and tested in metric grams. I recommend using digital scales for more accurate results. I provided a conversion to US customary in the recipe, but please note that I haven't tested it using this method.
Use sterile glass containers for your homemade AdvocaatIt is essential to use sterile glass containers. So before filling in the homemade Advocaat, you have to sterilize them.
How to sterilize the glass containers?Put the jars, bottles, and lids in a pot. Fill with water so that the water covers the jars and bottles. Boil for 30 minutes until bubbling. Remove the jars, bottles, and lids one by one and place them on paper towels to dry.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
⛑️ Food Safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove