I love to cook and bake with Advocaat (egg liqueur). And I'm not the only one in my family who appreciates this unique taste. I love to bake and cook with Advocaat egg liqueur! When I am using egg liqueur for baking, it makes the cake batters very silky and moist. On top egg liqueur is giving the cake a unique flavor. Furthermore, it is also wonderful to serve with a dessert or homemade cookies as an alcoholic drink. Particularly lovely is to present it in chocolate-filled waffle cups. Looks beautiful and tastes delicious.
Another great use-case of Advocaat is to mix it into coffee, as a so-called "Dutch coffee" Advocaat is the absolute highlight! You see, all these reasons push you to make this wonderful delicacy yourself. So if you don't want to buy commercial Advocaat from the store, you can easily create a homemade version yourself with the following recipe. It is also a grateful recipient of leftover egg yolks. So if you have leftover yolks from baking and don't want to make cookies (like my delicious walnut cookies), you could use them to make egg liqueur!
- 8.45 fl oz (250 ml) Whipped Cream
- 12.68 fl oz (375 ml) Full Cream Milk (no skimmed one!)
- 17.64 oz (500 g) Powdered Sugar
- 4 Egg Yolk
- 1 Pack Vanilla Sugar
- 8.45 fl oz (250 ml) Alcohol (white Rum 40 Percent Alcohol or Vodka 40 Percent Alcohol)
- A dash of cognac
It is essential to use sterile glass containers. So before filling in the homemade Advocaat, you have to sterilize them.
How to sterilize the glass containers?
Make a hot water bath. Put the jars, bottles, and lids in a pot. Fill with water so that the water covers the jars and bottles. Boil for 30 minutes until bubbling. Remove the jars, bottles, and lids one by one and place them on paper towels to dry.
Add whipped cream, milk, powdered sugar, yolks, and vanilla sugar and mix them until well blended.
Add the alcohol (in my case, I used vanilla vodka for flavor) and a good shot of cognac (or brandy). If you opted for the rum-based version, keep in mind that the rum turns out to be the strongest and most noticeable in the throat on the finish. Remix everything well. Bottle and shake often. For bottling, it is best to use a funnel so that there is no mess.
If the egg liqueur gets too thick, dilute with cognac (or brandy). Once the bottles are filled, seal them well and store the delicious homemade egg liqueur in the refrigerator. This method is the easiest without heat. However, the Advocaat must be kept in the refrigerator and will be edible for a week. For the second method, prepare over steam. Here, mix all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk over a bain-marie until the Advocaat thickens. If you prepare the Advocaat over steam, it will keep for one month in the refrigerator.
I'm very cautious about shelf life claims here. No one wants to have a nasty surprise when they take Advocaat that has been open for too long, stored incorrectly, or even not produced by all hygiene regulations. I use homemade egg liqueur exclusively for immediate further processing when baking cakes or cookies. To be on the safe side, I always try to have a bottle of purchased Advocaat at home. You never know.
💭 Top tip
What foods pair well with advocaat egg liqueur?
- Stracciatella, Chocolate, or Vanilla Ice Cream
- Coffee (Dutch Coffee)
- As an ingredient in baking and cooking (Advocaat Bites)
- As a drink with dessert
- Mixed in a drink - E.g., Snowball Cocktail (Advocaat Egg Liqueur alcoholic cocktail recipes)
- As a dessert topping (Waffle Blossoms with Chestnut Purée)
- Use it as a filling for pralines and cookies
- Mixed in Vanilla Pudding
Homemade Advocaat Egg Liqueur
- Liqueur Bottles
- 250 ml Whipped cream
- 375 ml Full cream milk
- 4 Egg yolk
- 1 Pack Vanilla sugar
- 250 ml Alcohol White Rum or Vodka 40 Percent Alcohol
- 1 Dash Cognac
- 500 g Powdered sugar
- Mix whipped cream with the milk, powdered sugar, yolks, and vanilla sugar with a mixer until well blended.
- Add the alcohol and a good dash of cognac.
- Bottle and shake often.
Use sterile glass containers for your homemade AdvocaatIt is essential to use sterile glass containers. So before filling in the homemade Advocaat, you have to sterilize them.
How to sterilize the glass containers?Put the jars, bottles, and lids in a pot. Fill with water so that the water covers the jars and bottles. Boil for 30 minutes until bubbling. Remove the jars, bottles, and lids one by one and place them on paper towels to dry.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
⛑ Food Safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove