There's something inherently comforting and satisfying about baking your own cake from scratch, infusing it with love and care, and savoring the mouthwatering results! If you're tired of lackluster store-bought cake mixes with artificial flavors and additives, it's time to embrace the magic of creating your own homemade cake mix.
Personally, I love having homemade cake mix in the house! It comes in handy when you get unexpected guests or the family craving sweets. This homemade cake mix is quick, easy, and actually cheaper than store-bought options!
In addition to making delicious cakes, you can use this homemade cake mix recipe for Bundt cake and cupcakes!
If you want to discover the joy of customizing your cakes to your liking, knowing every ingredient that goes into them, and achieving superior taste and texture, keep reading this fun blog post!
Whether you're a seasoned baker or a beginner in the kitchen, this post will equip you with valuable insights, tips, and a foolproof recipe that guarantees delightful results.
- All-purpose flour (sieved)
- Baking powder
- Cocoa powder - We recommend using Criollo cocoa powder since it has the highest quality.
- Cinnamon - Reach for Ceylon cinnamon when buying. Ceylon cinnamon, which is more expensive than Cassia cinnamon, contains hardly any Curamine. Curamine in large amounts can be toxic and should not be consumed, especially by pregnant women.
- Vanilla Sugar – Made from granulated sugar and fresh vanilla
See the recipe card for quantities.
Criollo Cocoa Powder
Criollo cocoa powder reigns supreme in chocolate for its exceptional quality and rich flavor.
First, its unique taste sets it apart- a delicate balance of complexity and smoothness that cannot be found in other varieties. On top of its superior flavor, Criollo cocoa powder is known for its vast health benefits. Packed with antioxidants, essential vitamins, and minerals, it contributes to heart health, improved mood, and overall wellness.
Moreover, it's a low-calorie source of dietary fiber, making it an excellent choice for those mindful of their diet. Finally, Criollo cocoa powder is a sustainable choice.
By choosing this variety, one is supporting small-scale farmers, promoting biodiversity, and helping to preserve this rare, cherished variety of cocoa. With its unrivaled taste, health benefits, and sustainability, Criollo cocoa powder truly is the king of cacao.
The first thing you'll do is sift your flour into a mixing bowl.
Next, add in the remaining dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon. Once everything's been well combined, you can pour your cake mix into a mason jar or ziplock bag (if you have a vacuum sealer!), label it, and store it in a dark, cool place.
When it does come time, you'll have everything else ready!
To turn the cake mix into a cake, you'll need four eggs, 1 cup milk or a milk alternative, ½ cup vegetable oil, and two teaspoon rum, juice, or milk.
Add chocolate chips, dried fruit, or nuts to the cake if you fancy. You will need a total of ¾ cup of this. You can also try out our Cranberry Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake recipe!
This cake mix can be easily varied by adding nuts, dried fruit, or chocolate chips. If you're looking to make a white cake mix or yellow cake mix, you can remove cocoa from the list of dry ingredients.
- Mason Jars (or zip lock bags if you have a vacuum sealer)
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Close-Meshed Sieve
💭 Storage & Top tip
The best way to keep and store them is by vacuum sealing them in plastic bags since it prevents the aromas from fading and humidity from getting in the dry cake mix. It also makes storing them accessible with the least space they take. The only note is that after vacuuming powders like flour, etc., before we use them, we have to pass them through a sieve to aerate them and remove any clumps.
If you don't have a vacuum sealer on hand, the next best option is mason jars, but you'll need to have the correct size, and they can take up quite a bit more space.
The third option, which is the easiest to use, is to put the dry mix in a plastic, zip-lock bag. Once we put the dry mix in them, we should try to remove as much air as possible before sealing the bags.
No matter which type of airtight container you go with, always label the mix with a name tag and date so you'll know what batch you are using after a period of time.
If you plan to make more than a few batches at once, add all the dry ingredients in each bag. Speaking from personal experience, if you forget to add in one of the ingredients, you'll definitely notice the difference when you pull that cake out of the oven!
This homemade cake mix is made from All-Purpose Flour, Baking Powder, Cocoa, Cinnamon, and Vanilla Sugar.
While the difference between boxed and homemade cake mix isn't wildly different, boxed cake mix from the grocery stores usually has some ingredients that aren't readily available at home – like an enriched flour mix, emulsifier, and dextrose.
One thing you can do when it actually comes to baking a fluffy cake is add some extra eggs. Also, to get a moist cake, I add my wet ingredients – like eggs, melted unsalted butter, milk, and vegetable oil – I add them into the cake batter one at a time to help make the cake nice and moist.
Betty Crocker Vanilla cake mix is made from wheat flour, sugar, vegetable oil, raising agents (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium aluminum phosphate), emulsifier (mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids), maize starch, modified corn starch (1442), salt, dextrose, thickener (xanthan gum), and natural vanilla flavor.
There are a few different things you can do to make a boxed cake mix look and taste like it's been homemade. For starters, you can swap oil for melted butter and water for dairy. You can also try adding a layer of filling (like raspberry jam), adding a teaspoon of vanilla extract, or topping a cake with homemade frosting.
Other Recipes for You to Try
- Three Ways for You to Make Vanilla Sugar at Home
- How to Make Delicious Homemade Advocaat Egg Liqueur
- How To Make Homemade Vanilla Vodka Flavored Whipped Cream
- No Bake Lemon Cheesecake With Blueberry Sauce
- The Perfect Blueberry Topping For Cheesecake
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. This would be awesome! You can also sign up for our Newsletter or follow me on Pinterest or Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @combinegoodflavors and hashtag #combinegoodflavors, so I don't miss it.
Homemade Cake Mix
- Mason Jar (zip lock bag or plastic bag with vacuum sealer)
- Wooden spoon
- Sift 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour into a mixing bowl.2 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- Then add ¾ tablespoon Baking powder, 2 teaspoon Cocoa, 1 tablespoon Cinnamon, 2 teaspoon Vanilla sugarand mix them with a wooden spoon.¾ tablespoon Baking powder, 2 teaspoon Cocoa, 1 tablespoon Cinnamon, 2 teaspoon Vanilla sugar
- Next, add the cake mix into a jar or ziplock bag, label it, and store it in a dark, cool place.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
⛑️ Food Safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove