We all know that staying healthy is important, including boosting your immune system. My secret weapon for keeping my family healthy is an immune-boosting water with saffron and lemon first thing in the morning.
This natural, powerful combination can be made in minutes and is perfect for those who are always on the go.
The advantages of this wonderful drink are that it can be prepared hot or cold, depending on the season. In addition, saffron water can be prepared as a single drink or in a refillable bottle for a larger volume.
- Saffron - we recommend using the treads and not a fine powder
- Water - tap water is ideal, but if you like it bubbly, use mineral water instead.
- Lemon - You can also use limes or oranges here. The main thing is to use a freshly squeezed fruit, with a high vitamin C content!
See the recipe card for quantities.
First, squeeze half a lemon and empty the freshly squeezed lemon juice into a glass.
Add 3-4 saffron threads to the lemon juice.
Fill the glass with water. Stir briefly and infuse for at least 20 minutes.
Remove the threads before drinking.
We recommend squeezing the whole lemon when preparing in a large, refillable bottle. The larger amount of lemon juice gives a better taste and adds additional vitamin C!
If you have a refillable bottle with a tea strainer insert, you can also put the saffron threads in there.
This way, you can always refill the bottle with water, and the saffron threads can continue to soak.
Proceed in the same way if you are using hot water. Just make sure you use a heat-resistant container.
🩺 Saffron infused Water Health Benefits
You should try Saffron water if you're looking for a natural way to improve your health.
Saffron is an excellent option if you're looking for a natural way to improve your health.
And if a cold does sneak up on you, home remedies like homemade cough drops may help!
It can help improve your mood and reduce anxiety, which are things that many people struggle with on a daily basis.
As well as helping with anxiety and depression, it's also said to help people lose weight! It's important not to take saffron supplements without your doctor's advice; there are side effects that might happen if you take too much.
Saffron water may improve the mood of some people.
Drinking Saffron water may help with depression, anxiety, sleep, and mood problems.
In one study of people with mild to moderate depression, Saffron extract significantly reduced depressive symptoms than those taking a placebo (the dummy pill). In another study on people with major depressive disorder, Saffron helped decrease symptoms when taken daily for eight weeks.
In two other studies on healthy volunteers (who did not have depression), Saffron improved their moods and reduced feelings of stress after just two weeks.
If you like Saffron as much as I do, why not try this delicious Instant Pot saffron rice?
💰 Saffron is the most expensive spice by weight
The highest-quality Saffron comes from Spain and Iran.
In addition to being very expensive, Saffron has some health benefits that make it worth splurging on. Saffron contains compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties and may help reduce fatigue (don't expect your energy levels to skyrocket).
For further support of your health, you can also try this delicious adrenal cocktail!
- Lemon Squeezer
- Drinking Glass or refillable bottle
- Spoon for stirring
- Tea Kettle - if you fancy warm water. 🙂
💭 Top tip
Ideally, drink saffron-infused water on an empty stomach to increase its effect.
If you are looking for another healthy drink, try out this healthy cucumber water!
Saffron is a spice that has a bitter, earthy flavor. It has a bitter flavor similar to licorice or anise. Its red glow color is unmistakable.
Saffron is made from the threads of a purple flower called saffron crocus. The flowers are handpicked and dried, then sold as saffron threads or powder.
Saffron is often used in Indian, European and Middle Eastern cooking. The spice is added to rice dishes and stews, as well as desserts such as Baklava.
Yes, saffron can also be bought as a powder. In this form, it is often used for cooking and baking. If you have saffron threads at home, you can easily crush the threads into powder with a small mortar.
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. This would be awesome! You can also sign up for our Newsletter or follow me on Pinterest or Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @combinegoodflavors and hashtag #combinegoodflavors, so I don't miss it.
- 3-4 Saffron threads
- 1 cup Water
- ½ Lemon
Saffron Water - cold water
- Squeeze half a lemon and empty the freshly squeezed lemon juice into a glass.½ Lemon
- Add 3-4 saffron threads and fill the glass with water.3-4 Saffron threads, 1 cup Water
- Stir briefly and infuse for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove the threads before drinking.
Saffron Water - hot water
- Squeeze half a lemon and empty the freshly squeezed lemon juice into a heat-resistant glass.½ Lemon
- Add 3-4 saffron threads.3-4 Saffron threads
- Bring the water to a boil in a tea kettle.1 cup Water
- Infuse the saffron-lemon mixture with the hot water and leave to brew for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove the threads before drinking.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
⛑️ Food Safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
For further information, check Safe Food Handling - FDA.