This article is also available in Deutsch.
Elderflower fritters - gebackene Holunderblüten in German, an Austrian delicacy often served as a dessert, is a must-try!
This easy recipe, prepared in the air fryer rather than in the pan with oil, is fried quickly and easily and requires only a handful of ingredients!
Since you do not add any sugar to the dough, the rich aroma of the elderflowers can unfold. An absolute taste experience!
Just sprinkle a little powdered sugar before serving on these little delicacies. That is enough to sweeten.
Those fried elderflowers are crispy and captivate with their fantastic elderflower aroma! An absolute indulgence!
Since the elderflower blossoms, in our case, are not baked out in oil, they are much healthier and better to digest.
Fancy more authentic Austrian recipes? Then sign up for our newsletter and get lots of delicious Austrian recipes, straight into your inbox!
Looking for more recipes right now, then head over to the Austrian Recipe collection, to find inspirations!
- Fresh elderflower bunches - with stem for easier handling. Don't use dried elderflowers for this recipe!
- Pastry flour
- Powdered sugar - for final dusting before serving
See the recipe card for quantities.
The first step is to prepare a light pancake batter in which you will dip the elderflower heads before frying them.
To do this, take a mixing bowl or the mixing bowl of your food processor, and add the milk, the egg, and a pinch of salt. Whisk the ingredients together, and then stir in the flour.
Now the batter is ready. Don't be put off; this dough is very thin. This thin consistency is intentional to get a light and crispy result!
Before you cover the elderflowers with the dough, shake them out to remove any insects, if needed. Please do not wash them, as the rich flavor is in the pollen.
Take the first bunch of elderflowers and pull it through the batter, so it is well coated with dough. The easiest way is to hold the bunch by the stem.
Now place the dough-covered bunches on a surface suitable for the air fryer. Since I have a small air fryer, I am using the bottom plate from a mini spring form for this. These fit nicely in a small air fryer.
Place the mold in the air fryer basket, close the oven and bake the elderflower bunches at 175 °C // 347 °F for three minutes.
Once the baking time is over, open the air fryer, and take out the baked elderflower. The easiest way to do this is to use kitchen tweezers. That way, you won't burn your fingers.
Depending on the size of your air fryer, you can bake several elderflowers at once.
Just make sure you place them next to each other. Otherwise, they will stick together.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving!
If you don't have an air fryer at home, you can make the elderflower fritters in a frying pan.
In this case, use a deep-frying pan, fill it with oil up to the width of a finger and fry the elderflowers until golden brown.
The pan-frying version is the authentic way of making them.
- Kitchen machine or hand mixer
- Mixing bowl
- Air Fryer
- Container for the air fryer - in which to place the elderflowers
- Kitchen tweezers - to lift out the baked elderflowers
The finished fried elderflowers should be consumed immediately after preparation. You cannot freeze them or store them in the refrigerator.
You can store the freshly picked elderflower bunches in the refrigerator for one to two days tops before using them.
Nevertheless, I recommend using them as soon as possible after harvesting to get the full taste experience.
💭 Top tip
The baking time varies a lot depending on the model and how many elderflowers you want to fry simultaneously. Check out this article if you are interested in learning more about air fryer cooking times.
You can see the browning process in the pan and know when they are ready. The first time you make baked elderflowers in the Air Fryer, we recommend starting with two minutes of baking time.
If they don't get golden brown after two minutes, bake them for an additional minute, and so on, until golden brown and crispy.
This process may be a little tricky on the first attempt. But it is well worth it! I can promise you that!
If you are into making sweets with your air fryer, try these delicious air fryer peanut butter chocolate pastries!
Elderflowers show their pretty and fragrant blossoms between about May and July. Enjoy preparing this delicious treat during this time.
But, if you fancy elderberries, you must wait until late summer. Elderberries are ready for harvest around August or September, depending on weather conditions. They then have a blue-black or deep red color. Harvest only umbels on which all fruits are entirely colored. To do this, cut off the entire umbel and remove unripe and spoiled berries.
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. This would be awesome! You can also sign up for our Newsletter or follow me on Pinterest or Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @combinegoodflavors and hashtag #combinegoodflavors, so I don't miss it.
Air Fryer Elderflower Fritters
- 16 Fresh elderflower bunches with stem for easier handling. Don't use dried elderflowers for this recipe!
- 1 Egg
- 1 ⅛ cup Milk
- ¾ cup Pastry flour
- Pinch of Salt
- powdered sugar for final dusting before serving
- First, we prepare a light pancake batter. Take a mixing bowl or the mixing bowl of your food processor, and add the milk, the egg, and a pinch of salt.1 Egg, 1 ⅛ cup Milk, Pinch of Salt
- Whisk the ingredients together, and then stir in the flour.1 Egg, 1 ⅛ cup Milk, ¾ cup Pastry flour, Pinch of Salt
- Before you cover the elderflowers with the dough, shake them out to remove any insects if needed. Please do not wash them, as the rich flavor is in the pollen.16 Fresh elderflower bunches
- Take the first bunch of elderflowers and pull it through the batter so it is well coated with dough. The easiest way is to hold the bunch by the stem.16 Fresh elderflower bunches
- Place the dough-covered bunches on a mold suitable for the air fryer.
- Place the mold in the air fryer basket, close the oven and bake the elderflower bunches at 175 °C // 347 °F for three minutes.
- Once the baking time is over, open the air fryer, and take out the baked elderflower using kitchen tweezers.
- Repeat this process until all the elderflowers are baked.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving!powdered sugar
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
🇦🇹 You might also like
⛑ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove