The fun, flirty, tequila-infused flavor of a Paloma Cocktail will whisk you away on a delicious summer breeze! Breathe a little summer air into any day with this easy, breezy recipe!
Kick off your sandals and feel the sand between your toes because it's Paloma time, and every refreshing sip tastes like a summer day!
Paloma Cocktails are one of my favorite drinks thanks to its iconic balance of fruity, bitter, sweet, sour, and salty flavors. It’s as fresh and exciting as a day spent on a beautiful white sand beach, which is only much accessible, so unfold your beach towel and relax in the breezy sunshine with this gorgeous Paloma recipe!
- Cubed Ice: Ice is used in the stirring glass for this drink. Try to avoid crushed or chipped ice because it tends to melt quickly.
- Tequila: Tasty tequila is the star, so be sure to choose something smooth and fresh. Always choose pure blue agave tequila. A blanco or reposado is your best bet for this exciting concoction.
- Fresh Lime Juice: Lime brings out the best in tequilas are mezcals.
- Sugar Syrup: I love to use homemade sugar syrup; it’s quick to make, handy, and lasts for weeks! However, store-bought syrup works perfectly too!
- Grapefruit Juice: If you have a friend who isn’t sure about grapefruits, have them try this juicy drink! The bitter citrus from grapefruit shines so brightly in this luscious recipe.
- Soda Water: This adds a little fun fizz!
- Salt and Grapefruit Slices: To finish this drink with style and flavor, use a coarse rim salt and fresh grapefruit slices.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Step One: Slice the lime, Run the cut lime wedge along the rim of the glass, spread salt on a cutting board, and roll the rim of a chilled highball glass in the salt.
Step Two: Fill the glass with ice.
Step Three: Add lime juice, tequila, sugar syrup, and grapefruit juice one after the other. Top the drink with soda water and garnish with grapefruit wedges. Enjoy with a straw!
Mezcal Mix-Up: Tequila's wonderfully smooth cousin, Mezcal, has similar flavor notes and makes a lovely substitute for anyone wanting to play with the spirit flavor in this recipe.
- Measuring Tools
- Highball Glass: A highball with a straw is a great choice for serving this drink.
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife: A paring or chef knife is perfect for this recipe.
💭 Top tips
If you are not sure how your guests feel about salt, only salt about half of the rim. This gives the drink an elegant look and pleases just about everyone’s palate!
This drink is so refreshing and elegant that it is great for all occasions! The fresh and fruity notes will make you crave fresh snacks like salsa, fruit salad, and bruschetta.
One thing that makes this drink so tasty is how light and fresh all the citrus ingredients are. That is why I always opt for freshly squeezed; however, if you only have access to bottled juice, it's a great substitute.
Other Recipes for You to Try
- Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri
- Strawberry Spritz
- Strawberry Moscow Mule
- Lavender Gin Tonic
- Lavender Spritz with Prosecco
- Aperol Spritz
- Vanilla Vodka Sidecar
- Lavender Spritz with White Wine
- Lavender Daiquiri
- White Wine Spritzer
- Candied Violets with Sparkling Wine
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. This would be awesome! You can also sign up for our Newsletter or follow me on Pinterest or Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @combinegoodflavors and hashtag #combinegoodflavors, so I don't miss it.
- Lime slice for the rim
- Coarse salt for the rim
- Cubed ice for the serving glass
- 1 ½ oz Tequila
- ¾ oz Fresh lime juice
- ¼ oz Sugar syrup
- 1 ½ oz Grapefruit juice freshly squeezed
- Soda water to fill
- Grapefruit wedge garnish
- Take a well-chilled glass and create a salt rim.
- Slice a Lime slice as thinly as you want the edge to be. Run the cut lime wedge along the rim of the glass.Lime slice
- Place high-quality Coarse salt on a chopping board and roll the rim of the glass over it.Coarse salt
- Once you have finished with the salt rim, fill the highball glass with Cubed ice.Cubed ice
- Add 1 ½ oz Tequila, ¾ oz Fresh lime juice, ¼ oz Sugar syrup, and 1 ½ oz Grapefruit juice one after the other.1 ½ oz Tequila, ¾ oz Fresh lime juice, ¼ oz Sugar syrup, 1 ½ oz Grapefruit juice
- Top up with Soda water and garnish with a Grapefruit wedge and a straw.Soda water, Grapefruit wedge
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
⛑️ Food Safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
For further information, check Safe Food Handling - FDA.