Some old-fashioned things are worth keeping around, but they need a little update. That is why you must try this deliciously fresh Maple Old Fashioned recipe!
Maple with bourbon is a match made in heaven, so a delicious Maple Old Fashioned just makes sense!
This recipe is my favorite because it’s simple and ready in no time, but the unforgettable vanilla-caramel-infused flavor lasts in your memory for ages!
Plus, this simple and sweet classic cocktail is a true party pleaser, so grab your glasses and get ready for a party with this sensationally smooth Old Fashioned!
- Large Ice Cube: The trick to preserving the scrumptious bourbon flavor in your drink is using an extra-large ice cube, like a large sphere or cube. This way it will melt slower so you can sip longer.
- Angostura Bitters: This flavoring ingredient brings a spicy taste with notes of cinnamon and cloves.
- Maple Syrup: Sweet and aromatic maple syrup makes this traditional drink taste luscious and sweet. Choose a quality syrup by looking at the ingredients. Maple syrup should be the first on the list.
- Bourbon: I love the woody, smooth flavor of a great bourbon. Seek out a single-barrel, straight, or craft bourbon with notes of wood, vanilla, and caramel to bring out this cocktail's sweetness.
See the recipe card for quantities.
- Step One: Add the bitters to a chilled glass.
- Step Two: Add the maple syrup and bourbon.
- Step Three: Fill the stirring glass with ice cubes and stir well.
- Step Four: Add a large ice cube to a chilled rocks glass and pour the drink through a strainer into the glass.
- Step Five: Garnish with glass with an orange zest and enjoy!
- Sweet Citrus: Mix things up by trading the Angostura bitters for orange bitters to give this delicious maple drink a citrus pop!
- Maple Mix-Up: Try a flavor-infused maple syrup, like cinnamon vanilla maple syrup, to bring even more funky flavor to this classic sip!
- Measuring Tools/Jigger
- Stirring Glass: A stirring glass is a gorgeous, super-sized glass designed for stirring together classic cocktails.
- Bar Spoon: The long handle of a bar spoon is a must-have for the tall stirring glass.
- Old Fashioned/Rocks Glass: This short style of glass fits perfectly in your hand so you can sip this sensational drink in style.
- Julep/Hawthorne Strainer: To keep excess ice out of the finished cocktail.
💭 Top tips
Proper stirring is important here to avoid watering down the drink too much. To do this, insert the bar spoon into the side of the stirring glass filled with ice cubes and guide the spoon along the inside of the glass. This moves the ice in a circle, cooling the drink but keeping the ice in the same position.
Choose a dark maple syrup to intensify the delectable woody sweetness of this recipe.
Unfortunately, maple syrup is not acceptable on a keto diet. You can make a low-carb spin on this sweet drink by using sugar-free maple syrup.
With a nice stirring glass, yes! You can make a couple at a time, so no one is waiting for their delicious drink!
Other Recipes for You to Try
- Bourbon Old Fashioned
- Winter Aperol Spritz
- Gin & Tonic
- New Year's Lemon Punch
- Choosing the Perfect Tall Glassware
- White Wine Spritzer
- Cucumber Gin Tonic
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. This would be awesome! You can also sign up for our Newsletter or follow me on Pinterest or Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @combinegoodflavors and hashtag #combinegoodflavors, so I don't miss it.
Maple Old Fashioned
- Measuring tools / Jigger
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- ½ oz Maple syrup
- 2 oz Bourbon
- Cubed ice for the stirring glass
- 1 Large ice cube or cubed ice for the serving glass
- Orange zest for garnish
- Take a well-chilled stirring glass out of the freezer.
- Add 3 dashes Angostura bitters.3 dashes Angostura bitters
- Then add ½ oz Maple syrup and lastly 2 oz Bourbon½ oz Maple syrup, 2 oz Bourbon
- Fill the stirring glass with Cubed ice and stir well with a bar spoon.Cubed ice
- Take a rocks glass (ideally chilled), add 1 Large ice cube or cubed ice and pour the drink through a Julep (or Hawthorn) strainer into the glass.1 Large ice cube or cubed ice
- Finally, cut off an orange zest (this means a small disc from the edge of the orange) and garnish the drink with it.Orange zest
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
⛑️ Food Safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
For further information, check Safe Food Handling - FDA.