If you're looking for a super quick and delicious treat that your children are sure to love, it's hard to beat these M and M Cookies! They're super simple to prepare, are in and out of the oven in a flash, and have a long shelf life – in the unlikely event that your family and friends don't polish these sweet treats off right away.
The only difficult part about this recipe is having to wait for your M and M Cookies to cool!
I love baking, but as a busy mom with a full-time schedule, sometimes I want something that's simple and quick. This recipe allows me to enjoy homemade cookies, even on my busiest of days. And because it's so simple to follow, you can even get some assistance in the kitchen for your little sou chefs!
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Sugar – Homemade or Purchased
- Cake Flour
See the recipe card for quantities.
First things first, you'll want to line your baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 180 °C // 356 °F top/bottom heat.
Next, you'll start mixing the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla sugar with a kitchen machine (or hand mixer) at medium speed in a medium bowl until it's nice and creamy.
Once you accomplished that nice, creamy texture, you'll beat in the egg and sift the flour over the mixture. Be sure to fold it in. You can either mix the cookie dough by hand with a wooden spoon or sit back and let the kitchen machine do the work.
Once the egg and cake flour has been completely folded into the mix, go ahead and add half of the M and Ms to the dough. Be sure to stir well.
Next, scoop out the dough into balls using a small ice cream scoop.
Place the cookie dough balls on your prepared baking sheet with enough distance from one another that it won't crowd the tray. After all your balls of dough are evenly placed along the tray, start spreading the remaining M and Ms over the cookie balls. You'll need to press down a bit, so they don't fall off while they're baking in the oven.
Bake on the middle shelf for 10-12 minutes.
After baking, let the finished baked cookies cool on a cooling rack for about 8-10 minutes and store them in an airtight container or cookie tin. Once you're finished waiting, you'll be left with a delicious cookie!
If you're looking to make this recipe gluten free, substitute the cake flour for almond flour! You'll also need to add 2 Tbsp. of cornstarch or arrowroot powder, though, for the recipe to still work.
And if you're looking to make the recipe vegan, there's plenty of substations for eggs. When baking, I would recommend substituting half of a mashed banana, or even ¼ cup of applesauce.
Everyone loves M&M's, but that doesn't mean we're in love with Blue No. 2 If you're looking for an alternative one of American's favorite candies that doesn't use unnatural food dyes to achieve fun colors, you're in luck!
Although it doesn't have the same brand recognition as M&M's, UNREAL Milk Chocolate Gems is a healthy alternative. The brand uses fair-trade chocolate and organic soy-free ingredients, and even uses coloring from beets, carrots, and other vegetables. You won't find any kind of artificial ingredients, but that doesn't mean you'll be sacrificing any flavor!
But if you're still feeling like opening a bag of classic M&M's, perhaps consider a fun twist? You can also use peanut M&M's or mini M&M's for this recipe.
If you are looking for another quick cookie recipe, then try out these lovely brownie mix cookies!
- Food processor or hand mixer
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- Ice cream scoop - small size
- Cake rack
These M and M Cookies have a shelf life of 3 - 4 weeks! Be sure to keep them in an airtight container, though!
💭 Top tip
Make sure you don't over bake these cookies. If you leave them in the oven for too long, your cookies could come out too dry.
Yes, you can use regular M&M's for baking recipes! You won't have to worry about them melting, either. The outer candy coating helps keep the chocolate, small bit-size treat in tack.
Your M&M's won't melt in the oven because the coating helps keep the small, bit-size chocolates in tack.
Unfortunately, because of the high temperature you'll need to bake these delicious cookies, there's no way to prevent your M&M's from cracking in the oven. But just because they're cracked doesn't mean they aren't delicious!
If you've made other, similar recipes for M and M Cookies, but they keep coming out flat, chances are your oven is set too high, and/or you're keeping your cookies in the oven for too long.
More gorgeous cookie recipes for you to try:
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. This would be awesome! You can also sign up for our Newsletter or follow me on Pinterest or Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @combinegoodflavors and hashtag #combinegoodflavors, so I don't miss it.
M and M Cookie Recipe
- ½ cup Butter
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 cups Cake Flour
- 4.59 oz M and Ms
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 180 °C // 356 °F top/bottom heat.
- Start mixing the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla sugar with a kitchen machine (or hand mixer) at medium speed in a medium bowl until it's nice and creamy.½ cup Butter, ¼ cup Brown Sugar, ¼ cup Sugar, 2 teaspoon Vanilla Sugar
- Beat in the egg and sift the flour over the mixture. Be sure to fold it in.1 Egg, 2 cups Cake Flour
- Add half of the M and Ms to the dough. Be sure to stir well.4.59 oz M and Ms
- Next, scoop out the dough into balls using a small ice cream scoop.
- Place the cookie dough balls on your prepared baking sheet with enough distance from one another that it won't crowd the tray.
- Spread the remaining M and Ms over the cookie balls. You'll need to press down a bit, so they don't fall off while they're baking in the oven.
- Bake on the middle shelf for 10-12 minutes.
- After baking, let the finished baked cookies cool on a cooling rack for about 8-10 minutes and store them in an airtight container or cookie tin.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
⛑️ Food Safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
For further information, check Safe Food Handling - FDA.