This article is also available in German.
"What to eat with yogurt for breakfast?"
Since yogurt for breakfast is trendy, there are many ways to prepare a breakfast with yogurt. Whether homemade or purchased, yogurt is very simple and easy to combine with various delicious fruits and cereals.
Today's yummy bowl recipe combines an apple for breakfast and a yogurt for breakfast to make a delicious homemade apple yogurt.
Refine both with raisins, honey, and oatmeal! Simply divine!
The added lemon refreshes and strengthens the immune system at the same time! Perfect for fall and healthy for the whole family!
Since there is no refined sugar added, it makes this yogurt breakfast extra healthy!
Instead of adding oatmeal, you can enrich this delicacy with a homemade Biscoff Granola!
- Plain yogurt - organic. This can be Greek yogurt or Skyr.
- Oatmeal or (homemade) granola
- Honey - or maple syrup
- Lemon juice - freshly squeezed
- Optional topping - more raisins, chia seeds, chopped nuts, or spices. A dash of cinnamon or raw cocoa powder can also spice up your apple yogurt.
See the recipe card for quantities.
First, we prepare the apple. Wash the apple, cut it into quarters and remove the core.
It is not necessary to peel the apple. On the one hand, this will give you the beautiful vitamins and fiber in the peel and much more excellent color to the finished yogurt breakfast.
You may be familiar with the little darlings who don't particularly like the peel if you have kids. In this form, that was my experience with my little girl; eating the apple peel in grated form was no problem at all. Yey!
Using a grater, grate the apple slices into a mixing bowl and set it aside.
Cut the lemon in half and squeeze one half of it. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice, two teaspoons of honey, and a handful of raisins to the grated apple and mix.
Once the lemon juice and honey are well combined with the grated apple, grab a cereal bowl or glass bowl and start layering your delicious yogurt breakfast.
Layer 1: Add a spoonful of oatmeal to the cereal bowl.
Layer 2: Next, add two spoonfuls of yogurt.
Layer 3: Add half of the prepared grated apple to the bowl.
Grate the apple slices.
Squeeze one-half of a lemon.
Combine grated apple, lemon juice, honey, and raisins.
First Layer: oatmeal.
Second Layer: yogurt.
Third layer: grated apple mix.
Repeat steps 1-3 until you've used the yogurt and grated apple.
Layer 4: Another spoonful of oatmeal.
Layer 5: Two spoonfuls of yogurt.
Layer 6: The second half of the grated apple.
If needed, use more yogurt if you find it too dry. Sprinkle with additional raisins over your for garnishing.
And the delicious breakfast is ready to be devoured!
To prepare a lactose-free breakfast, replace the yogurt with a vegetarian alternative. Coconut yogurt works wonders in this case because it adds another delicious nutty flavor to the whole yogurt breakfast bowl.
Don't like pure oatmeal? Then replace them with rice flakes, buckwheat flakes, or homemade Biscoff granola!
Vary by using different cereals or different types of fruit. Berries, for example, are a fantastic alternative to this recipe!
- Grater - for the apple
- Mixing bowl - for the grated apple
- Kitchen knife
- Cutting board
- Lemon squeezer
- Cereal bowl or glass bowl - for serving
I recommend preparing this apple yogurt fresh. Leaving grated apples for extended periods makes them brown, mushy, and not very appealing.
💭 Top Tip
For making this breakfast bowl for your child, one pass of the layers (steps 1-3) is usually enough.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA): “Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones. Organic food is produced without using most conventional pesticides; fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge; bioengineering; or ionizing radiation.” Food produced in this way can be labeled with the USDA symbol and sold as ‘organic.’
We recommend organic natural yogurt. It can be Greek yogurt, Skyr, but also coconut yogurt or almond milk yogurt.
Skyr is an Icelandic cultured dairy product. It has the consistency of strained yogurt, but a milder flavor. Skyr can be classified as a fresh sour milk cheese, similar to curd cheese consumed like a yogurt in the Baltic states, Germany and Russia.It has been a part of Icelandic cuisine for centuries.
Skyr has a slightly sour dairy flavor, with a hint of residual sweetness. It is traditionally served cold, either plain or with cream. Commercial manufacturers of skyr have added flavors such as vanilla, coffee, or fruit
Sweet apples are best used for snacking and eating fresh. Gala and Golden Delicious are our favorites.
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. This would be awesome! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @combinegoodflavors and hashtag #combinegoodflavors, so I don't miss it.
Apple Yogurt Breakfast Bowl
- Grater for the apple
- Mixing bowl for the grated apple
- Cereal bowl or glass bowl for serving
- ½ cup Plain yogurt organic
- 4 tablespoon Rolled oats
- 1 Apple
- 2 teaspoon Honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 4 tablespoon Raisins
- Wash the apple, cut it into quarters and remove the core.1 Apple
- Using a grater, grate the apple slices into a mixing bowl and set it aside.1 Apple
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze one half of it.1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice, two teaspoons of honey, and a handful of raisins to the grated apple and mix.2 teaspoon Honey, 1 teaspoon Lemon juice, 4 tablespoon Raisins
Layer the ingredients
- Layer 1: Add a spoonful of oatmeal to the cereal bowl.4 tablespoon Rolled oats
- Layer 2: Next, add two spoonfuls of yogurt.½ cup Plain yogurt
- Layer 3: Add half of the prepared grated apple to the bowl.
- Layer 4: Another spoonful of rolled oats.4 tablespoon Rolled oats
- Layer 5: Two spoonfuls of yogurt.½ cup Plain yogurt
- Layer 6: The second half of the grated apple.
- Optional: sprinkle additional raisins over your cereal.
Please note that all my recipes are developed and tested in metric grams. I recommend using digital scales for more accurate results. I provided a conversion to US customary in the recipe, but please note that I haven't tested it using this method.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
⛑️ Food Safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Love a hearty wholesome healthy breakfast. Such a good recipe.
I used agave nectar in place of honey and non-dairy vanilla yogurt in place of regular plain. Turned out perfectly awesome.
Perfect breakfast. I get tired of just eating plain yogurt! This is perfect, very creamy and flavorful. Nice way to start the day!
Loved the variety of textures and tastes in this breakfast parfait.
I haven't had yogurt in a while. There really are so many options as far as how you can prepare it.