Spelt is a tasty form of whole wheat flour with so much flavor and texture that you will always want to bake with it. That is why I love to make this healthy and delicious Spelt Flour Cake!
Now more than ever, health and wellness are at the forefront of everyone’s minds, but doesn’t that spell disaster for dessert?
No! It doesn’t have to, because, with this fantastic recipe, you can have your cake and eat it too, so to speak, because it is both delicious and good for your tummy! This easy, soft, and spongy cake is ideal for anyone with fructose malabsorption, but its airy texture and sugary flavor will win over the crowd!
Eggs: For this recipe, you will use whole eggs but separate them. That way, you can use each part of the egg to its full ability. The white will add airy lift while the yolk brings the rich, fatty flavor!
Dextrose/Glucose: This common type of sugar is often harvested from crops like corn or wheat, serving an essential purpose.
It is a fructose transporter in the intestine. Eat this dessert after a fructose-containing meal, and the glucose will bind to the fructose for better absorption and less discomfort.
Vanilla Sugar: Use my homemade Vanilla Sugar for this treat!
Water: A little water gives the cake batter a nice texture.
Spelt Flour: Spelt is the star of this treat! It’s a traditional whole wheat flour with an invitingly nutty and sweet taste. Look for it in the baking aisle or with the alternative flour at your local grocery store.
Baking Powder: Baking powder is a great leavening agent to keep this cake light!
Vegetable Oil: Vegetable oil is the perfect neutral flavored fat for this sweet cake.
Chocolate Sprinkles: I love using chocolate sprinkles for a decorative crunch in every bite!
See the recipe card for quantities.
Step One: Separate the eggs; beat the whites to stiff peaks and set them aside.
Step Two: Separately, beat the yolk, dextrose, vanilla sugar, and water until foamy. Then, alternate adding the dry ingredients and oil.
Step Three: Fold in the egg whites and stir in ¾ of the sprinkles.
Step Four: Grease the cake pan. Pour in half of the batter. Spread the remaining sprinkles over the top, then add the remaining batter.
Step Five: Bake.
Step Six: Allow the cake to cool, sprinkle it with powdered sugar, and enjoy!
Dextrose is a healthy helper, but it makes a slightly dense cake. To make a fluffier cake, use powdered sugar. The baking time here should be reduced to 50 minutes.
Mix this recipe by adding dried fruit or chopped nuts to the batter. Another great way to switch up the flavor is to use a different type of flavor-infused sugar, like lavender sugar or cinnamon sugar, instead of the typical vanilla. Have fun and make it your own!
- Bundt Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Wire Rack
Allow the cake to cool completely, and then cover it in plastic or move it to an airtight container. Store it in a cool, dark spot on the counter for up to three days. Enjoy the leftovers cool or warmed up in the microwave, served with coffee or tea.
Dextrose is a type of sugar found in plants that very closely resembles the sugar made naturally by our bodies. That is why it’s a great supplement for people who struggle with fructose malabsorption.
The whole grain flavor and texture of spelt produces a richer, heartier cake with a taste that is very nostalgic and sweet!
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. This would be awesome! You can also sign up for our Newsletter or follow me on Pinterest or Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @combinegoodflavors and hashtag #combinegoodflavors, so I don't miss it.
Wholesome Spelt Bundt Cake
- Separate 4 eggs.4 eggs
- Beat the egg whites in a bowl until stiff and set aside.
- In a second bowl, beat the egg yolk with 1 ¼ cup Dextrose, ¾ tablespoon Vanilla sugar, and ½ cup Water until foamy.1 ¼ cup Dextrose, ¾ tablespoon Vanilla sugar, ½ cup Water
- Then add 1 ¾ cup Spelt flour, ¾ tablespoon Baking powder, and ½ cup Vegetable oil alternately.1 ¾ cup Spelt flour, ¾ tablespoon Baking powder, ½ cup Vegetable oil
- Finally, fold in the beaten egg whites and stir in ¾ of the ½ cup Chocolate sprinkles.½ cup Chocolate sprinkles
- Grease the cake pan with baking spray or oil and pour half the batter.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate sprinkles on top, and then empty the second half of the batter over the top.
- Bake in the oven at approx. 347 °F / 175 °C top and bottom heat for 60-70 minutes. The baking time is reduced to 50 minutes if you use powdered sugar.
- After baking, allow the Bundt cake to cool and then turn it out onto a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy.
Nutrition values are estimates only, using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
⛑️ Food Safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
For further information, check Safe Food Handling - FDA.