I like all my drinks to have a little extra flair, and that is why when I’m behind the bar, I love making lemon twists! With these easy directions, learn how to make this simple yet stylish garnish perfectly every time.
Twist up your typical drink routine, literally! Lemon twists are the perfect way to turn your simple beverages into show-stopping cocktails! Grab a few lemons and learn some helpful tips to improve your garnish game!
Lemons: Fresh, bright, and juicy lemons are the only thing you need for this cocktail must-have. You can use any variety of lemon you like, but be sure to choose a sizable fruit with a vivid yellow color to make your drink really pop.
This citrus fruit is best stored in the fridge’s crisper drawer after purchase. Always wash your lemons well before using them.
Step One: Cut the lemon into thin slices using a mandolin slicer. This cutting method gives a nice uniform slice!
Step Two: Cut into the lemon without cutting through, then carefully cut along the pith.
Step Three: Starting at the cuts, either cut the entire round or gently tear off the peel.
Step Four: Quickly wrap the lemon peel tightly around a paper straw and pin the ends with pins.
Step Five: Leave the twist on the straw while the cocktail is mixed. This is enough for them to keep their shape.
You can use these easy and delicious methods to make a citrus twist with any citrus fruit! Try it with orange or lime to make a colorful new type of twist!
- Mandolin Slicer: This tool gives you nice even slices of lemon to start with. If you do not have one, you can carefully cut the lemons using a knife or peeler instead.
- Sharp Knife: A paring knife is the perfect choice for this garnish.
- Pins: This tool helps you hold the curly shape. You can use washed sewing pins if needed.
- Paper Straw: A straw is the right shape to make a nice twist. You can also use a reusable straw.
- Cutting Board: A clean citrus-friendly cutting board is just right!
💭 Top tip
Be careful not to tear the edges of the peel. A frayed peel ruins the refined look of a lovely lemon twist! That’s why I prefer to cut the peel off rather than tear it.
Lemon twists can brighten up so many creative concoctions! A twist is the perfect garnish for martinis, cosmopolitans, mules, and more! They’re great in spritz drinks and champagne, too!
Of course! A twist looks great in lemon-lime soda, tonic water, and seltzer!
All you need for a twist is the citrus skin so that you can use the fruity flesh well! Use the juice in your drinks or baked goods, or add the fresh to smoothies and juices. If you’re not going to use the remaining lemon right away, wrap it in plastic and store it in the fridge.
Other Recipes for You to Try
- Vanilla Vodka Tonic
- The Complete Guide to Gin & Tonic
- Your Complete Guide to Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Refreshing Cucumber Gin and Tonic
- Immune Boosting Saffron Water
- Gin and Tonic with Lemon
- How to make a Snowball Cocktail
- Vanilla Vodka Sidecar
- Refreshing Lavender Daiquiri
- Red Halloween Cocktail
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it by ★★★★★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. This would be awesome! You can also sign up for our Newsletter or follow me on Pinterest or Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @combinegoodflavors and hashtag #combinegoodflavors, so I don't miss it.
⛑️ Food Safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
For further information, check Safe Food Handling - FDA.